Tuesday, June 25, 2013

AK to CA: Day 5

Haines, AK

I'll make this short and photo-free as my phone and Haines don't seem to get along when it comes to an Internet connection. I'll post more about our day when I get a better connection, but I have a feeling that will mean a marathon writing session when we get to the Lower  48 on Friday. 

We are in line to board the yet-to-arrive ferry in a huge thunderstorm. We haven't heard thunder in ages! It doesn't happen in Homer. Today involved a 4-hour block of time at 90 degrees, followed by a rapid 15-degree cool down. We walked, played, ate Thai food at a bakery, and even watched Hazel the grizzly fishing in the Chilkoot River. More on all of that, with photos, later.

We have a long night ahead of us, as the ferry departs after midnight. It pulls in to Juneau around 5am tomorrow, and we are looking forward to breakfast delivery by some awesome friends before we pull back out around 7am. My goal is to see each port, even if it is in the middle of the night. We are looking forward to continuing our journey without having to drive anywhere. 

No comments: